Saturday, August 29, 2009

Craft Corner: For Eyes

I turned 40 this year - and like clockwork the gray hairs sprang forth from my scalp with a vengeance, and my heretofore 20/20 peepers began to fail me. After one particularly eye-opening book club meeting there was no denying that I, Lara Starr, needed reading glasses.

The plus sides of both of these signs of mortality is that they are opportunities to accessorize. Hence the somewhat saucy shade of red I'm currently sporting on my tresses, and the 1/2 a dozen pair of readers strategically placed in my purse, at my desk, on my nightstand, etc.... (FYI, those of you in Marin and on the right side of 40 can get readers for $5 a pair at Craig's Warehouse)

To protect these specs, I knew I needed glasses cases, but didn't want to spend more $$ - so I decided to make my own.

First, I got myself a sheet of 12" x 18" craft foam, and measured it into six 6" x 6" squares



Then I drew a swirly design with a pencil



Then I embroidered over the design with what I now know is called a stem stitch



Then I folded it in half and sewed it closed



Abracadabra! Right before your eyes, a nifty eyeglass case that cost less than $.25 to make



And so easy a child could do it. In fact - my child did! The kid made cases for me, his dad and his grandma.

I'm thinking if you didn't want to embroider you could do a cool design or pattern with a sharpie - and even staple the case closed. Let me know if you give it a try.

-UPDATE-

I made one with with the Staples & Sharpie technique - too cute!





Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

  1. Cute! Embroidery is a great idea for craft foam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute and looks so easy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter would love to do this herself for her specs! She's much more creative than me.

    And I am one who also had perfect vision until I neared 40. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking for a cheap, cute eyeglass case idea for a while now since I'm a little tired of the Target case - not chic at all. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. I've made it to 44 without the readers but it's around the corner I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Ideas. I have found readers at my local dollar store. They come in different strengths, if you dont know yours bring a book with you and sample different ones. They come in this cute plastic cases too. ( kinda reminds me of the traveling toothbrush or tampons cases).

    ReplyDelete